In April, an infectious disease expert predicts that Ontario schools will be forced to close once more. On Friday, Dr. Colin Furness made the prediction, a day after the province of Ontario released updated modeling data. Furness predicted in February that the spread of COVID-19 variants would lead to the pandemic’s “ugly” third wave.
There are currently 1,081 confirmed cases of disease variants in Ontario, including those from the United Kingdom, South Africa, and Brazil. He says the weather is getting warmer, and vaccinations are ramping up. “As bad as this appears to be, I believe it will be short-lived,” Furness says. On Friday, primary and secondary students were involved in more than 10% of known active COVID-19 cases in Ontario.
The Ministry of Education announced in February that March Break for students and teachers would be postponed. “I really do want people to feel concerned, but also positive,” Furness says. Since March of last year, the pandemic has been declared. The government claims that keeping schools open and safe is its top priority. Through in-person and remote learning, the virus has spread to schools.