Ontario recorded 64 new COVID-19 deaths, while the number of patients admitted to hospitals is near all-time highs, on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, there were 4,008 COVID-19 patients hospitalized to Ontario hospitals, with 626 of them in intensive care.
Since Friday, when full hospital data was available, the total number of COVID-19 patients in hospitals has decreased by 106, but the number of ICU patients has increased by 36.
Ontario Minister of Health Christine Elliott says 55 per cent of general patient admissions with COVID-19 and 85 per cent of ICU admissions were primarily due to coronavirus infection, while the remainder attended hospital for other reasons and later tested positive for the virus.
It’s the two-year anniversary of the first documented COVID-19 case in Canada today, and there have been more than one million documented COVID-19 infections in the province in that time, with 11,068 confirmed deaths.
Of Tuesday’s deaths, Ministry of Health spokesperson Alexandra Hilkene said they occurred across a span of the past 20 days, with one occurring on Monday, 15 occurring on Sunday, 24 occurring on Saturday and the remaining 24 occurring in the 17 days prior to that.
Four-hundred and eight deaths due to COVID-19 were reported in Ontario in the past week.
Indoor dining, cinema activity and indoor fitness centres are set to resume in six days.
There were 3,434 new COVID-19 cases confirmed through PCR testing on Tuesday, the Ministry of Health says.
Major limits on access to free testing imposed last month mean daily case counts through January are understood to significantly undercount the true burden of infection in the province.
Source_ The Canadian Press