Shomporko Desk:-TORONTO – As scientists and policy-makers anticipate a second wave of COVID-19 in the not so distant future, another review recommends a larger part of Canadians support closing non-essential businesses again if cases spike.
The new survey led by Nanos Research reviewed 1,049 Canadians within the past week, and found that two-thirds of respondents support, or somewhat support, another round of business terminations in case of a noteworthy ascent in cases and hospitalizations.
Forty-two per cent of respondents said they support the closures, while another 28 per cent said they somewhat support them. Around one out of four Canadians contradict (16 per cent) or somewhat oppose (11 per cent) the idea.
Support for shutting down businesses during a second wave was strongest in Ontario (53 per cent) and weakest in Quebec (24 per cent). Those older than 55 — who are more susceptible to the virus — were more supportive of the closures, at 77 per cent, than younger Canadians aged 18 to 34, at 64 per cent support.
Businesses were hit hard in March when the pandemic forced many to shutter, leaving millions of Canadians without jobs.
To offset lost wages, the federal government has doled out monthly payments of $2,000 to more than 8 million Canadians without work through the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) since April. As of July 3, more than $53.5 billion had been paid out.
In mid-June the federal government extended CERB by eight weeks, offering more time for workers looking for a job. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said the government is looking for ways to incentivize returning to work rather than staying home and remaining on the program.
In recent months, business has slowly returned to normal as provinces expand their lists of which businesses are allowed to reopen.
Photo credit: Mario Toneguzzi
News source: CTV News