Shomporko Online News Desk: Despite the player’s request not to be drafted following a charge in Sweden for sharing non-consensual intimate photographs of a young woman, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he is “very upset” as a lifetime fan by the Montreal Canadiens’ choice to draft Logan Mailloux.
On Tuesday, he remarked, “As a lifelong Habs supporter, I have to say I am profoundly saddened by the choice.”
“I believe that was a lapse in judgment on the part of the Canadiens organization. They have a lot of explaining to do, in my opinion.”
Ontario native Mailloux was charged and fined in Sweden last year after sharing a picture of himself and a young woman engaging in a sexual act.
Mailloux has admitted to sharing the photo and said he “deeply regrets” doing so.
What he did was a criminal offense in Canada and Mailloux himself had asked teams not to draft him ahead of the NHL draft pick that took place over the weekend.
“Being drafted into the NHL is an honor and a privilege that no one takes lightly,” he had said in a statement prior to the draft.
“The NHL draft should be one of the most exciting landmark moments in a player’s career, and given the circumstances, I don’t feel I have demonstrated strong enough maturity or character to earn that privilege in the 2021 draft.”
Despite that, the Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin selected Mailloux and has since faced a firestorm of criticism for what advocates have warned sends a signal that “collectively, we do not take these [acts] seriously.”
Bergevin has defended the decision, with a statement issued by the team on Sunday night calling Mailloux a “promising” player.
“The Canadiens are aware of the situation and by no means minimize the severity of Logan’s actions. Logan understands the impact of his actions,” the team statement continued.
However, advocates against sexual violence say the decision sends a clear message that the team does not take the conduct seriously.
“We consider that falls in line with rape culture,” said Roxanne Ocampo-Picard from the Regroupement québécois des centres d’aide et de lutte contre les agressions à caractère sexuel (RQCALACS).
Quebec’s Minister in charge of the Status of Women, Isabelle Charest, said in a tweet she was surprised and disappointed by the draft of Mailloux despite his conviction.
Québec solidaire spokesperson Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois also took to Twitter in reaction on Saturday and said many young boys dream of playing professional hockey, and the team’s draft of someone charged with a sex crime sends the message that “you can degrade women and still merit a place in our organization.”
Manon Monastesse, director of the Quebec Federation of Women’s Shelters, believes the squad should demand more than simply words from the young athlete.
Mailloux, according to Monastesse, should face immediate sanctions, such as community work or giving a portion of his future salary to organizations that help victims of sexual violence.
Monastesse went on to say that she is concerned about the message that this story may send to young males and girls.
Source_ The Sta