After a two-alarm fire broke out in a building near St. Lawrence Market on Saturday evening, firefighters rescued two persons.
Shortly before 8 p.m., emergency services were dispatched to a five-story structure on Henry Lane Terrace, near Lower Jarvis Street and The Esplanade.
When firemen arrived, a unit on the third story was totally engulfed, according to Platoon Chief Bill Bygrave. They came to a lot of fire and smoke.
“The apartment was extremely messy, bordering on hoarding. And workers spent a lot of time trying to get through the debris to get to the fire’s source “According to Bygrave.
“This was tough, just to get in the door. The door was jammed with all the things behind it.”
Bygrave said crews found two people in distress trapped in the hallway.
“Their only way out was through glass windows. They broke (the windows) themselves. A Toronto Fire tower truck went up with the bucket and was able to rescue two people,” Bygrave said.
The patients were brought to the hospital for smoke inhalation treatment.
According to Bygrave, the fire has been out and the structure has been cleansed of smoke. Crews are still on the job in the unit, putting out hot spots.
“The current scenario is that there are still smouldering materials in the unit due to the volume of debris. And in order to get to the bottom of it, we’ll have to take nearly all of the stuff — that is, the entire contents of that apartment “According to Bygrave.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.